National Society of the Sons of the American Revolution
2021 Special Congress Registration
March 13, 2021 @ 10:00 am (EST)
At the December 6, 2020 meeting of the Board of Trustees, the Trustees approved a recommendation of the Executive Committee to hold a Special Congress for the purpose of considering proposed amendments to Articles V and VIII of the Constitution as proposed by the Bylaws, Rules and Resolutions Committee and the Executive Committee. Notice of the amendments to be considered was mailed from Headquarters on January 6, 2021, as required by Article VIII of the Constitution. The primary purpose of the amendments is to permit attendance at future Congresses by alternative means if authorized by a 2/3 vote of the Board of Trustees. This would enable the SAR to hold its annual Congress during a pandemic or other national emergency in the future.
The Special Congress will be held on Saturday, March 13, 2021, at 10 a.m., in the metropolitan Washington, DC area, with the precise location to be determined by the Special Congress Chairman and notice of the precise location to be given to all Trustees, State Presidents and State Secretaries no later than Saturday, February 13, 2021.
The delegates at the Special Congress entitled to vote therein shall be the delegates specified by Bylaw No. 23, all of whom must be members in good standing as of December 31, 2020, and a quorum of the Special Congress shall be twenty-five delegates, holding State credentials, as specified in Bylaw No. 30. The number of delegates to which each state society is entitled shall be determined on the basis of the January 1, 2020, reconciliation report and as provided in Bylaw 23. Delegates must be a member in good standing as of the date of the Special Congress as certified by the state society secretary.
The Trustees have set the registration fee at $100. Only delegates may register and attend. Members who are not delegates, spouses, or other guests may not attend any part of the Special Congress.
The agenda for the Special Congress, as approved by the Board of Trustees, is as follows:
1. Call to Order by the President General
2. Invocation by the Chaplain General (or designee)
3. Pledge of Allegiance to the Flag of the United States
4. SAR Pledge
5. Remarks of the President General
6. Report of the Credentials Committee
7. Report of the Bylaws Committee regarding Proposed Amendments to Articles V and VIII of the Constitution
8. Report of the Secretary General (or designee) on the recommendations of the Executive Committee and the Board of Trustees regarding the Proposed Amendments to Articles V and VIII of the Constitution
9. New Business
a. Proposed Amendments to Article V of the Constitution
b. Proposed Amendments to Article VIII of the Constitution
c. No Further Business Shall Be Considered by the Special Congress
10. SAR Recessional
The President General has appointed Michael J. Elston of Virginia as the Special Congress Chairman and E.B. Coggins Jr. of Virginia as the Special Congress Credentials Committee Chairman.
Registration for this Special Congress will close at 5:00 pm (EST) on February 7, 2021 due to planning requirements during this global pandemic situation.
Please Note: Only Delegates holding valid credentials from a State Society or the National Society and who were members in good standing on December 31, 2020, will be permitted to attend this Special Congress in person. The Special Congress will be available for viewing to all members via the Internet (details will be announced at a later date). Delegates who are entitled to credentials from the National Society are strongly encouraged to obtain credentials from their State Society because only delegates with State Society credentials count toward the quorum requirement. Bylaw No. 30. Depending on the coronavirus restrictions in place at the time of the Special Congress, members with National Society credentials may not be allowed in the main meeting room except for the limited purpose of debate or to vote.
* Pursuant to the December 5, 2020 decision of the Board of Trustees, the precise venue of the Special Congress will be announced no later than February 13, 2021. The Special Congress Chairman is authorized to change the time and/or venue (but not the date) of the Special Congress to another time and/or venue in the metropolitan Washington, DC area if pandemic restrictions would prohibit holding the Special Congress at the original time and/or venue, provided that notice is given by all practicable means to all registered delegates.
† Due to the planning requirements for holding a meeting during the global pandemic, late registration forms will not be accepted, unless necessary to ensure that a quorum will be present for the Special Congress.
Michael J. Elston, Special Congress Chairman